Skip to main content

Taking the scenic route to the U.S.

I began my trip to the United States accompanied by my brother last Thursday. We expected to arrive in Royal Oak the same day - but didn’t keep in mind KLM’s booking procedure. The first flight from Frankfurt to Amsterdam went well, but as we were ready to hop on the plane to Detroit, we were denied boarding because the flight was overbooked. Being mad at first, that feeling dissipated quickly after we got our compensation which included free hotel accommodation, a three-course dinner and some money. So we spent a night in Amsterdam and set off to the United Stated the next morning.

Things went more smoothly after arriving in the U.S. We got some administrative things done the first days - and by administrative I mainly mean grocery shopping as it took us ages to find our way through all the “2-for-1” -deals. Once we were finished, we did a bit of sightseeing in Detroit over the weekend: hopping on the People Mover, watching a Red Wings game and taking a walk along Detroit River were all fun and gave us a real positive impression of the city – unlike what the prejudices about Detroit are.

This is only my second week at work, but the beginning is very promising: Véronique and myself went to a PRSA lunch with Jack to hear about the latest trends in PR. It was a great experience and I am looking forward to getting familiarized with all the procedures at AutoCom and to support the team.

Carolin

Comments

Jack Harned said…
Welcome! Glad to have you on the team!

Popular posts from this blog

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having...

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu...

Tata Nano - A Small Car with a Big Future

Tata Technologies unveils the Tata Nano, designed as 'World's cheapest car'. The people's car from Tata Motors is not a question. It is the answer. Can you imagine a brand-new car for $2,500? No, it’s not a motorbike or a scooter… it is the world’s cheapest production car, the Tata Nano. On Thursday, January, 14 a mini Indian car was unveiled to North America. The auto market has changed. It is a global trend that today’s demand is leaning more towards mini cars. It is time to be efficient. It is time for the Tata Nano. At the Detroit Science Center, Kerry Hokett and I welcomed over 50 journalists that took part at Tata Technologies’ media briefing. As I looked around the room, I saw cameras flashing, video cameras rolling, people posing around the car, smiling Tata Technologies team eager to help and of course the small Tata Nano was the center of attention. But that was later... First, entering the hall, we saw a small car’s silhouette under a gray cover. ...