Skip to main content

Time At Home Went By So Fast!


As you know I was travelling to Germany for my final Master’s presentation at the university. Fortunately I was able to combine it with Christmas, so I could spend the Christmas time with my family and friends. It was an awesome time and I was happy to see all my friends again before the next four months here in the U.S.!

I had planned to prepare and organize some stuff while crossing the ocean sitting on the airplane. Unfortunately dinner, several good movies, some funny games and a couple minutes of sleep crossed my plans. Nine hours passed so fast, that I didn’t have a chance to look at my thesis again. ;) 
With a grinning face, thoughts about home and the thesis in my backpack plus approximately 3 Kilogram peanut butter M&M's in my luggage, I arrived in time. (We don’t have this special taste of M&M’s in Germany and I received some “orders” – that’s the reason why :D)
I was looking forward to the next day because a Handball game was taking place and I had the chance to join my Handball team as goalkeeper after such a long period of time without having a chance to do my favorite sport. For all you guys who are wondering: Handball in Europe is one of the famous sports and totally different than in the US -> just have a look.
The following days were very stressful but I finally graduated. Now I am happy and proud at the same time holding my Master’s degree in political science. :) Another reason for enjoying my remaining time in Germany.
I spent Christmas with my family and my girlfriend, had a lot of fun with my friends, hung out with them, got updated plus met previous colleagues and told them about my life in the US. 
Shortly after I arrived completely in my former life, I had to leave again. On one hand I was looking forward to get back to the U.S. but on the other hand I wished to stay some more days. The day I left we had heavy snow though it has been a challenge to get to Frankfurt International Airport, but my sister managed to safely drop me off through the snowy weather. 
The next challenge was the safety check – shortly after I passed without a squeak when I was going through, suddenly a security guy was standing next to me when I was getting back my stuff. “Hello Sir, your passport and your boarding ticket please!” I felt nervous – am I really looking like a dangerous person? :D “Where do you want to go?” Me: “I am travelling to Detroit” and him again: “Ok, please follow me.” 
After a 15-minute check, including a body scan, checking all my electrical devices and some other questions, his mood changed and he changed into being a polite guy, wishing a good flight. As I was still irritated and nervous, I did the same to him and we laughed shortly after :D
Sitting on the plane it felt like switching into a completely different life. It was very funny thinking about it: I will have another place to live, other friends around me, other colleagues, another car (with less battery power ;) ). But bottom line it is not a big deal with all these nice people over here who are making me feel like having a second home! 
After Brianna picked me up at Detroit's airport, I spent the evening with some friends dining at a nice restaurant.
Now I am back and will update you in the following weeks about my further experiences abroad with freezing temperatures around -20 degrees Celsius. 

Back in town - shortly after my arrival.
Close to Detroit.

Visit at Brianna's stylish designer office.
Creative and inspiring wall at her office.

Popular posts from this blog

Jack inducted into PRSA Detroit Chapter Hall of Fame!

Hi everyone! Last night we went to the PRSA Detroit Chapter’s annual meeting. During the meeting was a ceremony for Jack Harned’s induction into the Hall of Fame. The meeting was downtown at the beautiful DTE Energy building. We had a great time networking with fellow colleagues in the PR industry and catching up with previous AutoCom employees. After dinner, Marty gave a great introduction to Jack. Jack’s speech was absolutely wonderful! Every one loved it! He talked about some of his past experiences from his hometown newspaper to working with GM and NASA. It seemed that everyone loved hearing his stories as much as we do at our Friday lunches! It’s great to know that Jack’s peers recognize all of his hard work. He has accomplished and seen so much, he truly deserves this award. From all of us at AutoCom: Congrats, Jack! We are all so proud of you! Leave some comments for Jack and keep an eye out for pictures, coming soon, at AutoCom's Facebook page! Until next time, Julia, Kerry

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu