Skip to main content

Winter Update

Back in autumn, I remember reading in travel guides about the images of “snow covered landscapes” and several different options of winter activities in Michigan, such as snowboarding, skiing, snowshoeing, sledding, snowmobiling, ice fishing, etc. I somehow liked the idea of living in this winter wonderland! As it turns out, it has been a very mild winter so far, which means I haven’t had to scrape snow off my car every day! Although it seems I have spoke too soon in this case, we are actually expecting 6-10 inches of snow by tomorrow morning and even more snow throughout the week!

After speaking with family and friends from Germany, it made me feel more fortunate during this last month, since they are nearly at the end of their patience, in the middle of a snow storm. Extreme temperatures have been observed all over the world, in places like China, Korea and India. In the U.S., Washington D.C. is near to setting the record for all-time snowfall this winter, snow that would probably be more appreciated in Vancouver!

With all of the weather irregularities, the concerns of global warming are brought back to everyone’s mind - although it seems to be contrasting! This is at least one advantage of the cold!

Certainly, not having had much snow so far doesn’t mean that I have not experienced cold temperatures. Over Christmas I spent three days in Chicago with my boyfriend. The city forced me to buy a new coat as soon as I arrived, but once I was well bundled up, I very much enjoyed my stay in ‘The Windy City’. We went on sightseeing trips, to museums, shopping and watched people ice skating in Millenium Park. I would love to go back some day!

Another impressive experience I have had, has definitely been our visit to Niagara Falls, on our way to Toronto on New Year's Eve. Seeing all the powerful water crashing down I didn’t even care about the cold rain we were standing in. Also, Toronto is a wonderful city and I had a great time, despite the extremely cold temperature. After several cups of hot coffee, we managed to see everything we had planned by walking! I am delighted with the diversity we experienced in Toronto and its architectural highlights.



So, whatever temperature, I am prepared and I am even still hoping for a little bit more snow as long as I am here…And remember, there is no bad weather, just bad clothing!

Julia

Comments

Anonymous said…
Julia: This was a great summary of winter in Detroit and the Midwest U.S. You're a great writer (in English, especially)!

Marty Habalewsky
Jack Harned said…
Hi Julia

We read your good post in Jerusalem. It is colder here than we expected, but we are having a fascinating trip.

Eileen and Jack Harned
Anonymous said…
Hi Julia

You´re absolutely right with what you say about the weather madness around the world...

But even the coldest temperatures do not hurt that much with the right person by your side.
I enjoyed those days very much.

Armin
Anonymous said…
A great old saying about "bad weather". However, I believe that it was more about that you alsways bring your own sunshine :-)

Alina
Larry said…
Nice post....glad you enjoyed Chicago. Happen to love the city. It's where I started my career with Ford.

Larry

Popular posts from this blog

Jack inducted into PRSA Detroit Chapter Hall of Fame!

Hi everyone! Last night we went to the PRSA Detroit Chapter’s annual meeting. During the meeting was a ceremony for Jack Harned’s induction into the Hall of Fame. The meeting was downtown at the beautiful DTE Energy building. We had a great time networking with fellow colleagues in the PR industry and catching up with previous AutoCom employees. After dinner, Marty gave a great introduction to Jack. Jack’s speech was absolutely wonderful! Every one loved it! He talked about some of his past experiences from his hometown newspaper to working with GM and NASA. It seemed that everyone loved hearing his stories as much as we do at our Friday lunches! It’s great to know that Jack’s peers recognize all of his hard work. He has accomplished and seen so much, he truly deserves this award. From all of us at AutoCom: Congrats, Jack! We are all so proud of you! Leave some comments for Jack and keep an eye out for pictures, coming soon, at AutoCom's Facebook page! Until next time, Julia, Kerry

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu