Skip to main content

Megan's senior project at AutoCom

Hey AutoComers,

You may be wondering who I am, why I’m at AutoCom, and why I’ll disappear before I get to really know any of you. I’m a senior at Country Day and my school has a program they call Senior Project. The basic idea is to get the seniors officially out of the school so they no longer have to deal with our senioritis. Thus, we spend the month of May and early June engaged in a project of our choice. The seniors can pick any field, in any place they want. People do projects as diverse as writing books, creating artwork, serving as a teacher’s assistant, shadowing doctors, and working for magazines. The only requirements are that we work thirty hours a week and turn in a brief paper at the end so that we can graduate.



So why am I at AutoCom? It may seem like a strange place for a girl whose main interest is in history and politics and who dreams of working overseas for a non-profit organization, but it really isn’t. The skills AutoCom uses in public relations apply not only to businesses, but also to non-profits who need to spread their message in order to effectively recruit volunteers and donors and fulfill their mission.



In my time here so far, I have had a chance to both observe and participate in what AutoCom does. I’ve seen press releases being drafted, meetings occur and I’ve had a chance to participate in conferences about what public relations is and what PR firms seek to do as well as learn how to distribute mailings. I’ve observed the importance of cultivating relationships with media contacts and seen how to choose relevant publications to send releases to.



So, although I still plan on studying international politics, I’ve seen how important good public relations is to any organization. Being able to do my senior project at AutoCom has been great for me, especially because the AutoCom family is so welcoming and kind. I’m only here for another week so I’d like to take this chance to thank everyone at AutoCom for making my Senior Project great.



Megan Cook

Comments

Anonymous said…
We're so glad you decided to do your Senior Project with us! Hope you enjoyed your time at AutoCom (and that we didn't scare you too much...).

Good luck at school and stay in touch! :)

Holly
AutoCom Interns said…
Megan-

it's great to have you around. And I'm excited to work with you on DIC!

Silke

Popular posts from this blog

Jack inducted into PRSA Detroit Chapter Hall of Fame!

Hi everyone! Last night we went to the PRSA Detroit Chapter’s annual meeting. During the meeting was a ceremony for Jack Harned’s induction into the Hall of Fame. The meeting was downtown at the beautiful DTE Energy building. We had a great time networking with fellow colleagues in the PR industry and catching up with previous AutoCom employees. After dinner, Marty gave a great introduction to Jack. Jack’s speech was absolutely wonderful! Every one loved it! He talked about some of his past experiences from his hometown newspaper to working with GM and NASA. It seemed that everyone loved hearing his stories as much as we do at our Friday lunches! It’s great to know that Jack’s peers recognize all of his hard work. He has accomplished and seen so much, he truly deserves this award. From all of us at AutoCom: Congrats, Jack! We are all so proud of you! Leave some comments for Jack and keep an eye out for pictures, coming soon, at AutoCom's Facebook page! Until next time, Julia, Kerry

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu