Skip to main content

Hi everyone!


My name is Rebecca, I am 22 years old and from Germany.
Since my bachelor’s program at the Technische Hochschule Nuernberg requires a mandatory internship abroad, I was eager to return to the US, where I have already spent a year as an Au pair.
This time around, receiving my Visa was rather tough, as the final decision was made spontaneously and everything had been on a tight schedule.  However, everything worked out perfectly fine and I arrived in Detroit on 20 February.
For the time being, I am staying at the same house in Royal Oak as my predecessor, Stefanie – even in the same room! My housemates are extremely nice, they help me out a lot as I am still in the middle of organizing all different kinds of formalities.
During my 6-month stay, I am excited to explore Detroit, the greater Michigan area as well as parts of the US I haven’t seen before, like the Niagara Falls or cities in Illinois and Indiana.
One personal goal I definitely want to achieve while I am here is to go to a Detroit Red Wings Game. I have always been very interested in Ice Hockey, and experiencing a NHL game live surely is the dream of every German fan. Maybe I can even travel to Chicago and watch a German player from the Chicago Blackhawks.
Having received so much help and support not only from my housemates, but colleagues as well, I really felt home right away and am excited to work and live here until August.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having...

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu...

Tata Nano - A Small Car with a Big Future

Tata Technologies unveils the Tata Nano, designed as 'World's cheapest car'. The people's car from Tata Motors is not a question. It is the answer. Can you imagine a brand-new car for $2,500? No, it’s not a motorbike or a scooter… it is the world’s cheapest production car, the Tata Nano. On Thursday, January, 14 a mini Indian car was unveiled to North America. The auto market has changed. It is a global trend that today’s demand is leaning more towards mini cars. It is time to be efficient. It is time for the Tata Nano. At the Detroit Science Center, Kerry Hokett and I welcomed over 50 journalists that took part at Tata Technologies’ media briefing. As I looked around the room, I saw cameras flashing, video cameras rolling, people posing around the car, smiling Tata Technologies team eager to help and of course the small Tata Nano was the center of attention. But that was later... First, entering the hall, we saw a small car’s silhouette under a gray cover. ...