Skip to main content

Welcome to America



Hi everybody,
I am Nicole – the new intern at AutoCom for the next six months and I am pursuing my bachelor’s degree in technology and management back home at the University of Munich in Germany. I am really curious about all the new things I will learn and I am totally ready for supporting my team as good as possible.
To be honest it was really hard saying goodbye to my family and friends and a picture and a teddy is all I have of them. But you always have to keep in mind six months will be shorter than you thought and there is actually no time for home sickness. I was not very nervous before my trip; there was too much trouble at the airport. My first flight was delayed, so they booked me on another flight and then my connection flight was delayed – oh god!!! Since patience is not really my strong suit, I was so stressed out! But at the end I arrived at the airport and a friend of mine picked me up.
my neighborhood
I am living in a three bedroom house in Royal Oak (which is a nice place to live) and I really like my two roommates. I am here for seven days now and I cooked dinner only once so far, because every day somebody asks me to meet up. Maybe you can imagine that I already met so many nice people. I was really lucky with the weather! I had a sunny first weekend, so we went to Belle Island and enjoyed the view and later on we had a great BBQ in the backyard of my friend’s house.
view from Belle Island
 My first time at a supermarket was shocking. I never expected food – especially fresh fruits and vegetables – to be so expensive! But you need to know where to go, so you can save a lot of money. And believe it or not, you can go to Aldi here. I even found deep-frozen “Brezn”, which are imported from Bavaria! I know here in America they call them Pretzels, but as a native Bavarian I do not want to adapt that :)
my almost new car
Since Sophia is living quite near to me, she picks me up every morning and she really helps me to get settled. I think I am so lucky to have such a supportive team here at AutoCom. She is also helping me getting a car, which is absolutely necessary here in Detroit. The first week at AutoCom went by so fast and I got so much information, it is amazing! I wrote my first 7-day report, my first blog entry, I assisted in sending out releases and I am looking forward to all the other things I will learn.
The upcoming weekend Sophia, another friend and I are going to Canada. First stop will be Toronto where we will see downtown and on the next day we will head to the Niagara Falls. I am really excited and I will definitely keep you posted. As you see, no time for home sickness!


Comments

Hey, Nicole! I'm also an intern. How do you manage passing all the tests and exams? Perhaps, you don't have such strict rules. We have to pass exams every week. My curator says I should ask some other interns how to prepare for an exam. Luck to you, Rob.

Popular posts from this blog

Jack inducted into PRSA Detroit Chapter Hall of Fame!

Hi everyone! Last night we went to the PRSA Detroit Chapter’s annual meeting. During the meeting was a ceremony for Jack Harned’s induction into the Hall of Fame. The meeting was downtown at the beautiful DTE Energy building. We had a great time networking with fellow colleagues in the PR industry and catching up with previous AutoCom employees. After dinner, Marty gave a great introduction to Jack. Jack’s speech was absolutely wonderful! Every one loved it! He talked about some of his past experiences from his hometown newspaper to working with GM and NASA. It seemed that everyone loved hearing his stories as much as we do at our Friday lunches! It’s great to know that Jack’s peers recognize all of his hard work. He has accomplished and seen so much, he truly deserves this award. From all of us at AutoCom: Congrats, Jack! We are all so proud of you! Leave some comments for Jack and keep an eye out for pictures, coming soon, at AutoCom's Facebook page! Until next time, Julia, Kerry

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu