Skip to main content

Enjoy the last days of summer in Detroit



Hi there,
Its Niko again.
I am still here and want to give you the next update.
Since I wrote the last story some time went by. In the meantime I’ve picked up Sophia (you know her already…) from the airport. I had roadtrips to up north and to Chicago. We had a farewell party for one of my roommates and at work we’re busy with planning our Frankfurt IAA dinner and preparing AutoCom for the wintertime.

At the end of July I was on a trip to the Upper Peninsula. That’s that part of Michigan that is almost Canada. Except for unbelievably beautiful nature there is pretty much nothing up there. Even no cellphone service. But that’s exactly what’s interesting. We went to the pictured rocks. A riff-shore on Lake Superior that’s really worth seeing it. Some travel-magazines even voted it as a secret tip for USA visitors and a must-see. And I can only agree. Look at the pictures and see for yourself.  
Up there was also the location for Kid Rock’s musicvideo “Born Free”. And we were exactly at that beach, enjoing the weather and swimming in Lake Superior. 



August started with two new roommates in our house. We have another German and a Canadian guy living with us now. It took a little while to get used to it but it works out pretty good now.
The first week in August was also the first week at work together with Sophia. I hope that I did a, at least not too bad of a job to show her how AutoCom works. At the moment we are busy with planning an event for one of our clients in October. I’m doing some smaller graphic work for them and in our meetings we can share ideas and work out a plan to make the clients happy.

The third weekend in August was one of the automotive highlights of the year. Woodward dreamcruise!
Thousands of classic cars came to the Detroit area to be part of that event. There is pretty much no organization, everyone just drives up and down Woodward Avenue and shows his car. We had very good weather that days and we were able to walk there from our house, so those days were really nice. I took a couple of pictures, of course :) 

 
That was also the last weekend Lukas and Eileen were in Detroit. They flew to California on vacation. I won't see them again in the U.S. but I'm pretty sure we'll keep in touch back in Germany. 
Together with my roommate Jon I’ve been to a Kid Rock live concert last week. He was in Detroit for two weeks, played 10 shows in a row and all of them were sold out. Luckily we were able to buy tickets through a reselling-platform online.
The concert was at the DTE Energy music theatre. An open air theatre. All day long it was super rainy, I was 100% sure that we’ll get wet during the show. But – Kid Rock has obviously a good relationship to the weather-god – we stayed dry and enjoed live music under a blue sky.
I didn’t expect that, but Kid Rock is an excellent musican. This guy can play multiple instruments and has a unique voice!
Finally I made it to my first rock concert in rock city – even if the Kid is now more into country the evening was great!

Last weekend I had a long drive to do – I visited family friends in the Chicago area. I saw them for the first time in 15 years. Now they have 3 nice kids, a beautiful house and a funny dog. We were on a lake, driving a boat, went out for dinner and met up with their grandparents who stayed in my hometown in Germany a looooong time ago. That was one of my highlights so far in the U.S.
Now I am preparing my last few weeks here in Michigan, planning what to do before I leave and trying to enjoy the last days of summer. It’s getting chilly in the morning and evening, so you can already guess that fall will be around soon.
I’ll be in Chicago for one more weekend helping my roommate to move there. I’ll keep you updated!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jack inducted into PRSA Detroit Chapter Hall of Fame!

Hi everyone! Last night we went to the PRSA Detroit Chapter’s annual meeting. During the meeting was a ceremony for Jack Harned’s induction into the Hall of Fame. The meeting was downtown at the beautiful DTE Energy building. We had a great time networking with fellow colleagues in the PR industry and catching up with previous AutoCom employees. After dinner, Marty gave a great introduction to Jack. Jack’s speech was absolutely wonderful! Every one loved it! He talked about some of his past experiences from his hometown newspaper to working with GM and NASA. It seemed that everyone loved hearing his stories as much as we do at our Friday lunches! It’s great to know that Jack’s peers recognize all of his hard work. He has accomplished and seen so much, he truly deserves this award. From all of us at AutoCom: Congrats, Jack! We are all so proud of you! Leave some comments for Jack and keep an eye out for pictures, coming soon, at AutoCom's Facebook page! Until next time, Julia, Kerry

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu