Skip to main content

Internship-halftime: many things to talk about



It is internship halftime for me :) or even a bit more.
So time for me to write again. The last weeks have been super exciting. We had many trips, best weather, sun, heat and fun!
My girlfriend Eva came to the US to visit me. We both have waited for that day so long.
She flew in to Chicago, so I drove there to pick her up from the airport. She had a little delay and the security and immigration control in Chicago was a kind of a chaos. But finally and after 3 hours waiting she came out of the security zone.
I was really nervous to see her again after that long time :D
We had a tight program: sightseeing, enjoying to be together and I had to show her how my life here in the U.S. is.
So we saw Chicago, travelled to the D (of course!), she met my roomies and friends here.
After that we went to Toronto and the Niagara Falls and again back to Chicago.
And – instead of writing and telling you guys every detail I decided to show you just a few pictures of our trip :) 


At work I finished our second newsletter AutoCommuniqué two weeks ago. I’m the editor. Together with Larry I created the new edition. We gave it to a printing-shop and then I sent them out to clients and partners all over the world. There are some hardcopys left, so if you want to have one,  just let me know.
Otherwise you can also download the newsletter on our homepage: www.usautocom.com/#!newsletter-archive and subscribe there for the next edition.

Last weekend we went on a trip to Ohio. My two roommates Jon and Anton, my former roommates Lukas and Eileen and I.
Ohio is not very spectacular, but they have this one huge theme park there: CEDAR POINT.
I love riding rollercoasters and so do the others. So we had one day just for riding coasters. And – the difference to Germany is: There they have really big coasters, and not just one or two – they have ~15!
In Cedar point we got lucky and had bad luck at the same time. We were stuck in a water ride at noon. The sun was burning down from the sky directly into our face.
And we had to wait. At least for 45 minutes mechanics tried to get the coaster running again, but unsuccessful. So we had to exit on half way through the track. As a compensation they gave us two tickets each for entering a attraction through the exit. So we did not have to wait in the line for hours. All in all it was a good deal for us. :)

This week was interesting at work. We have some special projects at the moment. And we are right in the planning for the CAR MBS in Traverse City in August and the IAA in Frankfurt mid of September.  As you can guess – it is not boring at work though.
Last Tuesday was another fun-day after work for me. We went to a Tigers-game to Comerica Park in Detroit Downtown.  
To be honest, I don’t really understand Baseball, but it was a fun evening. We had super weather.  The match started at 7pm and we were able to sit in shorts and T-Shirt in the ballpark.
I tried to understand what they are doing there. But baseball has so many weird rules – it did not really work. Anyways – thanks to Anton and Jon who tried to bring me into baseball :)
Since it is Friday today the weekend – planning is done. Directly after work today I’ll start to go up north to the Pictured Rocks.  We’re the same group that went to Cedar Point last weekend. It’ll be a looooong drive, but it will be worth it.
Beginning of August we’ll also have a new intern here, Sophia will arrive. So you will also read some stories from her on this blog.
Stay tuned,
Niko

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jack inducted into PRSA Detroit Chapter Hall of Fame!

Hi everyone! Last night we went to the PRSA Detroit Chapter’s annual meeting. During the meeting was a ceremony for Jack Harned’s induction into the Hall of Fame. The meeting was downtown at the beautiful DTE Energy building. We had a great time networking with fellow colleagues in the PR industry and catching up with previous AutoCom employees. After dinner, Marty gave a great introduction to Jack. Jack’s speech was absolutely wonderful! Every one loved it! He talked about some of his past experiences from his hometown newspaper to working with GM and NASA. It seemed that everyone loved hearing his stories as much as we do at our Friday lunches! It’s great to know that Jack’s peers recognize all of his hard work. He has accomplished and seen so much, he truly deserves this award. From all of us at AutoCom: Congrats, Jack! We are all so proud of you! Leave some comments for Jack and keep an eye out for pictures, coming soon, at AutoCom's Facebook page! Until next time, Julia, Kerry

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu