Skip to main content

TechCrawl 2015 and June-Fireworks



Hi all,
Since my last post is already some weeks old I guess I owe you an  update.
A friend of mine visited me here in Royal Oak and we had lots of work the last weeks for our big TechCrawl event. So there is enough to write about :)
 
Moritz arrived on the first June-weekend. I showed him the Rock City Detroit, and our nightlife here. We had a great time with my roommates and the chance to talk about things going on in our hometown.

After he left the busy time at work started. We had plenty of work – much influenced by TechCrawl. We had to organize final things, print the press material, had meetings at the locations and so on.
But – we managed it, and then the “big day” arrived.

TechCrawl 2015
This year’s TechCrawl was a half-day program. We started with lunch and a short introduction in Birmingham’s “The Bird and The Bread”. A very nice restaurant with a delicious kitchen. We had wraps, sandwiches and salad for everybody. And as a dessert the housemade cookies. Believe me:  It sounds not as spectacular as it was.

The presentation-part of TechCrawl took place in the Birmingham Theatre.  A movie- theatre. We had the presentations on the big screen, the media sitting in those huge red cinema chairs and eating popcorn.
All in all a great atmosphere, great presentations and media attendees that had the chance to relax and work at the same time.
We also presented our former-intern video in the movie theatre. I created it because AutoCom celebrates it’s 20th anniversary this year.
So – every former AutoCom intern who sent a short statement-video to me is now able to call himself a movie-star. Your clip has been on a real cinema-screen. Not everybody can say this :)
Thanks again to all of you who sent a short clip! – if you want to see the video again, here the youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILFC9lpwocU&feature=youtu.be
TechCrawl 2015 ended with a reception at Hyde Park – a steakhouse directly next to the movies. Merle and I organized some fun-activities for our media attendees and our clients. We had a caricaturist who drawed the people (very nice!), we had a guitar-player who made some nice music for the background. And we had a little fun-picture frame with two fun-gadgets: Larry’s glasses and Jack Harned’s hair.
As you can see in the pictures: we had a good time.
Now, since TechCrawl is over  I am busy with working on our quarterly newsletter. Be prepared for it – It’ll be sent out in the first week of July. If you want to receive a copy feel free to contact me (nfuchs@usautocom.com) or just subscribe online on our homepage www.usautocom.com/#!newsletter-archive

This week was also an exciting event in downtown Detroit: We celebrated the canadian independence day together with our neighbors in Windsor/Canada. Denise invited Merle and me to join her and her family for a dinner at the Detroit Princess, the historical boat on the river.
We had a nice meal on the boat and after that the chance to see the fireworks from the upper-deck on the water.

Since it is Friday today I am also preparing myself for the weekend. :) Unfortunately the weather-forecast is not very good. But – to be honest:  I’ve never seen a true weather-forecast here in the US since I am here. So hopefully the weather-science guys are wrong this time, too.
Our neighbor came to our house last week. She told us that she organized a block-party in our street for this Saturday. My roommates and I will have fun there, for sure! Hopefully with good weather.
Also I have to tell you that Chicago is calling: I’ll be there in two weeks. Picking up my girlfriend from the airport. She’s going to visit me.
I am so glad that she is able to come to the US so that we can see each other :)

I’ll keep you updated
Niko

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jack inducted into PRSA Detroit Chapter Hall of Fame!

Hi everyone! Last night we went to the PRSA Detroit Chapter’s annual meeting. During the meeting was a ceremony for Jack Harned’s induction into the Hall of Fame. The meeting was downtown at the beautiful DTE Energy building. We had a great time networking with fellow colleagues in the PR industry and catching up with previous AutoCom employees. After dinner, Marty gave a great introduction to Jack. Jack’s speech was absolutely wonderful! Every one loved it! He talked about some of his past experiences from his hometown newspaper to working with GM and NASA. It seemed that everyone loved hearing his stories as much as we do at our Friday lunches! It’s great to know that Jack’s peers recognize all of his hard work. He has accomplished and seen so much, he truly deserves this award. From all of us at AutoCom: Congrats, Jack! We are all so proud of you! Leave some comments for Jack and keep an eye out for pictures, coming soon, at AutoCom's Facebook page! Until next time, Julia, Kerry

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu