Skip to main content

New York City Calling



Hey all :)

I went  to New York City last weekend and have some great pictures for you.
The first funny  thing already happened at the airport. Departure was scheduled for 6.10 AM – unfortunately a stewardess overslept so we had to wait for one and a half hours.
Later on in New York I could not stop marveling. Even the approach to the airport was so amazing. You can see the whole skyline and pass Manhattan before landing at LaGuardia airport.
I had four days in New York and spent the Memorial Day weekend there. This was so far the most exciting time since I arrived here in the US.  
I met some old friends from Germany in NYC. So - it’s not hard to guess, we had four fun days!  
Our agenda in NYC was pretty full, we wanted to do all the typical touristy things. I don’t want to bore you with too many details, but here take my top three and a short picture overview:

 
1)  Ground Zero with the new Freedom Tower – goosebumps-moment no 1 in NYC. Standing at the memorial, looking at those thousands of victims-names and realizing that I’m exactly at this place where those people lost their lifes 14 years ago.  
      2)  On top of the Empire State Building  at night! Amazing view all over New York, skyscrapers as far as you can see! 
      3)  Times Square – no matter if at daytime or at night. All those LED walls, the crowds of people and the real NYC feeling were amazing

I could write so much more about those four days in NYC, so if you haven’t been there yet: Just do it. This city is worth a trip!

The weekend before my trip to NYC I tried to play golf for the first time in my life. Of course not directly at a 9 or 18 hole course, but my roommates and I we went to a driving ranch in Royal Oak.
That was fun!
Originally I thought that hitting a ball just as far away as possible is not that difficult. But it is.  
And – that was the bigger surprise – I did not think that I’ll have sore muscles at all. :D

I heard some comments from friends and family like “hey – are you in the US just for holidays or do you also work there?” . So – here some words about my work at AutoCom.
I’m here for two month now and I’m pretty familiar with the daily work process at our firm. That’s why I’m trying to involve myself more and more in the PR work and not just in administrative.
So I had my first release assignment this week.
It was just a small appointment story for one of our clients. But – as you know – the first step is always the hardest.
I’m glad that I have the opportunity to being part of the development process of press releases. That’s exactly the reason why I’m here and wanted to do an internship at AutoCom. Hopefully I can be part of many more releases until the end of my internship and learn more about how the media works here in the US.
 
And I had another sort of achievement within the last two weeks.
I’ve designed a logo for AutoCom’s 20th anniversary. It is used online on our Facebook page, the
homepage and in our Emails. But now there is a thing that overtops this:
The logo I designed is now printed on our momentos for this year.
It is really great to see it on our bags and other nice things we ordered. Hopefully our clients and journalists like it as much as my collegues and I do!  

All right – (and this is for my lovely friends and family with those nice comments :) ) Now you see that I’m also doing work here and not just trips :)

So far this is my update for you. In two weeks a very good friend of mine will arrive here in Michigan. He’ll stay here for a weekend, we’ll  sure be having a good time.
I’ll keep you updated.
Thanks for following :)
Niko
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jack inducted into PRSA Detroit Chapter Hall of Fame!

Hi everyone! Last night we went to the PRSA Detroit Chapter’s annual meeting. During the meeting was a ceremony for Jack Harned’s induction into the Hall of Fame. The meeting was downtown at the beautiful DTE Energy building. We had a great time networking with fellow colleagues in the PR industry and catching up with previous AutoCom employees. After dinner, Marty gave a great introduction to Jack. Jack’s speech was absolutely wonderful! Every one loved it! He talked about some of his past experiences from his hometown newspaper to working with GM and NASA. It seemed that everyone loved hearing his stories as much as we do at our Friday lunches! It’s great to know that Jack’s peers recognize all of his hard work. He has accomplished and seen so much, he truly deserves this award. From all of us at AutoCom: Congrats, Jack! We are all so proud of you! Leave some comments for Jack and keep an eye out for pictures, coming soon, at AutoCom's Facebook page! Until next time, Julia, Kerry

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu