Skip to main content

Internship Finish Line In Sight

Many things were happening in the last weeks and for some reason I have the impression time is passing by faster and faster. Only six days to go until my six month internship is over – wow! I am glad to have six weeks left for travelling and that’s why I am planning a trip to explore as much as possible.. Hopefully, I will be able to tell you some planned highlights before I’m done.

Lake St. Clair Metropark
Even stores are posting clear messages.

Fortunately, the Michigan winter is leaving even though we still from time to time have minus degrees (Celsius). The sun is shining longer and brighter, the snow is melting, all lakes and rivers lose their thick ice covered surface and I am happy to have a slight impression of summer times in Michigan. Now I am enjoying every chance to drive through Woodward Ave with open windows, heat off and sun in my face after work.

"Red Wings Bar"
Columbus vs. Red Wings
Meanwhile, I went to my first NHL game of the Detroit Red Wings. An awesome experience I’ll never forget. After having dinner at a Red Wings Club restaurant before the games started, we were well prepared by the red-dressed people who surrounded us and provided a good mood. It was great sitting in the Joe Louis Arena with approx. 10.000 people, commenting any action on ice and supporting the Red Wings loudly. Unfortunately, Detroit lost in the end 3:1.

Original New York Times, 1969
Another great experience were stories of Jack Harned, Senior Partner at AutoCom, who told us about his career steps including his work for a sub-company of GM, which was providing navigation systems for the Apollo missions. He was showing us several press releases, press kits and photos so we had a very good impression of his work and the time in the 1960s. Additionally, he was presenting us material from his personal archive. So I had the chance to read the original edition from Monday, July 21, 1969 of the New York Times with the Title: Men Walk On Moon.

View from a bar at the RenCen
Last week two friends had to fly back to Germany which reminded me again it’s only a small step away from now until I have to go. On the one hand I am looking forward to my life back in Germany, meeting all my friends and taking my next career step – I got a job in Berlin for the time after the US. But on the other hand I am so excited about the next weeks in this country with all these nice people around me and hopefully my car is too, because I already planned lots of travelling by car ;) So keep your fingers crossed! In six days you’ll read my final story as an intern at AutoCom - be prepared ;)



Popular posts from this blog

Jack inducted into PRSA Detroit Chapter Hall of Fame!

Hi everyone! Last night we went to the PRSA Detroit Chapter’s annual meeting. During the meeting was a ceremony for Jack Harned’s induction into the Hall of Fame. The meeting was downtown at the beautiful DTE Energy building. We had a great time networking with fellow colleagues in the PR industry and catching up with previous AutoCom employees. After dinner, Marty gave a great introduction to Jack. Jack’s speech was absolutely wonderful! Every one loved it! He talked about some of his past experiences from his hometown newspaper to working with GM and NASA. It seemed that everyone loved hearing his stories as much as we do at our Friday lunches! It’s great to know that Jack’s peers recognize all of his hard work. He has accomplished and seen so much, he truly deserves this award. From all of us at AutoCom: Congrats, Jack! We are all so proud of you! Leave some comments for Jack and keep an eye out for pictures, coming soon, at AutoCom's Facebook page! Until next time, Julia, Kerry

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu