Skip to main content

USA – Here I am

Hello everybody!

My name is Martin and I am the new intern at AutoCom for the next six months. I joined AutoCom’s team on Wednesday, October 15th and I am totally excited about all my new colleagues, tasks and the office at its own/itself. Since I arrived from Germany on Monday, October 20th, every single day was new and fascinating. I will mention some happenings later.

Originally I live in a small village a couple of minutes away from Kassel, right in the middle of Germany. But now, compared to the American places I was already driving through, everything seems to be so small where I come from.
At the University of Kassel, I studied political science and finished my master thesis last week – just in time before my departure to Detroit.

After I successfully passed the visa application and finishing up all my travel plans I was absolutely relieved, sitting on the plane - grinning broadly. I have to add that I have never been before to the USA.

Nine hours later we were descending through the clouds – the first things catching my attention looking out of the window, were all these huge cars, trucks and yellow angular school busses driving along the freeway (later I noticed it was a normal sized street, not a freeway – I had still German standards in my mind). This was the point where I knew: the screen, which was in front of me for nine hours, was not just a simulation of an airplane flying across the Atlantic Ocean. This was the moment I realized: USA – Here I am.

Following I had to learn how to handle an American cell phone and minutes later Emily, one of my colleagues at AutoCom, arrived and picked me up at the airport. She was so nice to drive me to the house in Royal Oak, where I live now with my four housemates for the next six months.

In the next morning I was awake at 4 a.m. – you might think it’s the perfect time for a Knoppers in Germany, but I didn’t feel so ;). Getting up at 7 a.m., to get an almost normal daily rhythm, I organized all the things that should be done on Tuesday for my internship start the following day.

On Wednesday Merle, another colleague at AutoCom, picked me up in the morning to go to AutoCom’s office, based in Bloomfield. Arriving there it was absolutely exciting for me finally got to know the office and meet the faces to all the names, which were mentioned before. After a couple of days and several meetings, right now I am trying to get into the automotive business of AutoCom and the daily work processes.

On my first weekend in Royal Oak I tried to get a bit around the area where I live - by foot and by car. I enjoyed the autumn sun in a park among the many lakes around Bloomfield Hills. Furthermore I took the chance to get an impression of one of these huge shopping malls. One funny thing I noticed there, were loud speaker announcements on the parking decks, which were telling you about your parking level, aside from all the big signs. Very constantly you couldn’t miss hearing: “You are parking in parking area three, north… You are parking in parking area… “




By now, all in all it was totally fascinating to get such an insight into the American everyday life. Even if it has been a bit like a jump into the (very) cold water, know I am feeling comfortable being a part of AutoCom and a part of the everyday life.

I’m absolutely curious about the next days, weeks and months and of course I will update you.




Popular posts from this blog

Jack inducted into PRSA Detroit Chapter Hall of Fame!

Hi everyone! Last night we went to the PRSA Detroit Chapter’s annual meeting. During the meeting was a ceremony for Jack Harned’s induction into the Hall of Fame. The meeting was downtown at the beautiful DTE Energy building. We had a great time networking with fellow colleagues in the PR industry and catching up with previous AutoCom employees. After dinner, Marty gave a great introduction to Jack. Jack’s speech was absolutely wonderful! Every one loved it! He talked about some of his past experiences from his hometown newspaper to working with GM and NASA. It seemed that everyone loved hearing his stories as much as we do at our Friday lunches! It’s great to know that Jack’s peers recognize all of his hard work. He has accomplished and seen so much, he truly deserves this award. From all of us at AutoCom: Congrats, Jack! We are all so proud of you! Leave some comments for Jack and keep an eye out for pictures, coming soon, at AutoCom's Facebook page! Until next time, Julia, Kerry

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu