Skip to main content

Update From a Past AutoCom-er!


>Hey AutoCom fans,

I am happy to write another blog entry today for AutoCom's intern blog. For those who don't know me: I used to work at AutoCom from October 2007 until August 2008. That seems so long ago when I think of the experiences I made since I left AutoCom but it also seems like yesterday every time I visit the office. I remember good times working with Andi, Holly, Christina, Paul, Emily, Lauren, Toni, Tedi, Jan, Maggie, Dee, Marty, Jack and Larry.


After I left AutoCom, I stayed in the states for three more weeks to visit Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon. That was a great trip. For the first time, I did two days nothing but hiking. I was so exhausted... But hiking the Grand Canyon was amazing, the scenery was incredible.

After a goodbye party at my roommates house it was time to fly back home. In Germany, my family and friends organized a surprise party. And I'm telling you I was surprised!!! I had no idea... There were more than 30 people standing in my parents backyard. Since it was dark, I didn't see them and so I had no idea what was going on when all of the sudden 30-something people were screaming “SURPRISE” and then they switched on the lights.










In October 2008, I went back to the university to finish my master's degree. That was a lot of studying, several sleepless nights and hard work. My schedule was full of seminars and lectures, presentations, exams and portfolios.


During my semester brake (spring 2009), I did an internship at AutoCom's client Hella Electronics. That was a great experience. I worked in the marketing and business development department with Winfried. At Hella, I translated parts of Hella's webpage from German into English, prepared power point presentations for international meetings, created a poster for the SAE Japan 2009 trade show and did the research for news releases. A conference call with Andi and Marty reminded me of great times at AutoCom.


During summer break in 2009 as well as spring break 2010, I came back to the USA to visit friends. Also, a friend of mine got married and I experienced a wonderful outside wedding. I traveled to Chicago to see the old Chicago theater, very impressive! I also ate deep dish pizza because a friend of mine said that I HAVE to eat it! And she was right, it is delicious.


After finishing my master's thesis in October 2010, I visited Christina (also a former account assistant at AutoCom) in Austria. It was awesome. The nature is breathtaking and Vienna is beautiful. My favorite place to be was the Vienna opera house. We had a great time and a lot to talk about: our time at AutoCom as well as living in the states and of course about the past two years because we haven't seen each other since I left AutoCom.


I am now back in the states, I am staying in Illinois until February 24. This time I went to Chicago for its famous Christkindlmarkt, which is pretty common in Germany but not so famous in the states. It was great to visit this German tradition and prepared me for a German-American Christmas :)




That's it for now. But I'll stay in touch.

Silke

Comments

Larry Weis said…
Hi Silke...

Great to hear from you and what you've been doing over the past several years.

Please stay in touch via the blog or direct emails.

Larry
Jack Harned said…
Glad you are not letting any grass grow under your feet... Thanks for keeping us posted.

Popular posts from this blog

Jack inducted into PRSA Detroit Chapter Hall of Fame!

Hi everyone! Last night we went to the PRSA Detroit Chapter’s annual meeting. During the meeting was a ceremony for Jack Harned’s induction into the Hall of Fame. The meeting was downtown at the beautiful DTE Energy building. We had a great time networking with fellow colleagues in the PR industry and catching up with previous AutoCom employees. After dinner, Marty gave a great introduction to Jack. Jack’s speech was absolutely wonderful! Every one loved it! He talked about some of his past experiences from his hometown newspaper to working with GM and NASA. It seemed that everyone loved hearing his stories as much as we do at our Friday lunches! It’s great to know that Jack’s peers recognize all of his hard work. He has accomplished and seen so much, he truly deserves this award. From all of us at AutoCom: Congrats, Jack! We are all so proud of you! Leave some comments for Jack and keep an eye out for pictures, coming soon, at AutoCom's Facebook page! Until next time, Julia, Kerry

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu