Skip to main content

I left on a jet plane

I can not believe it, but I am back in Germany. I am living with a friend in Düsseldorf and finish my school next year. It's still really strange to be back in Germany. I have to learn again that my credit card doesn't work most of the times, I can not go shopping on sunday, I have no car (only trains and subways, which are never in time) and I lost my cute accent :-)



Anyway... I know you, or better yet "the ladies" are waiting for my final blog post! Enjoy my little review!

Things I will miss:

Turning right even when the traffic light is showing red
Free drink refill in every restaurant
Panera Brad - Broccoli Cheddar Soup
The gas prices (okay... I do not even have a car in Germany)
Brownies (That's a hint, Andi. I heard the mail can be really fast :-))
Jamba Juice
Using my credit card when I buy chewing gum...

Things I wont miss:

Repeating my name all the time ( Maaaaa - reeeeeei - keeee, no... not Maleika, Marky and not Mareiky
Construction on Woodward
Air conditioning everywhere, even when it is not hot. The next time I'll go to the cinema I can leave my winter jacket at home... yeeeeah....
Ice in every drink


The best support in the States:

First of all I have to announce the other half of the secret German Connection (TGC): Nicky
We are also known as the funny German Girls....that isn't true at all. The sarcastic German Girls fits much better :-)
Anyway, she was a good Senior Intern, friend, passenger in my car (Put your hands up for Detroit....), party buddy, protector, listener and skype-user :-)


Andi:
My favorite American lady and the best deskmate ever. She explained and taught me everything I needed to know to be a woman in America. Where to go out, where to buy the best clothes and cosmetic, the coolest slang, the best TV shows (even in the summer break). Btw she likes to watch people running on TV. At least she told me that she is recording all the marathons :-)
She shared her chips with me every day (sometimes I had to give her an angry look until she gave me the chips bag...but she always understood what I meant without saying anything) and she was always concerned about my language ("Oh s#!@"). Lauren and Andi, thank you for never washing my mouth with soap!!! But u know.... that's how I roll... fast and out of controll!!! And if u want, we can throw it down!!!
And I promise Andi, I won't tell the Ninja Turtles anything about that little accident. I heared their revenge is dreaded. Mum's the words. :-) (Ich liebe dich anyhow)

Josh and Marie:


They were my roommates, good friends and parents all in one person (or better two :-)): Helping me get furniture, they showed me the Ferndale club scene and worried when I came home late . They helped me when ever I needed help. Organized a great birthday party for me, took me to concerts, cooked sometimes for me, so I didn't have to eat mac'n cheese or bagels again =)




A bad memory:

I think I will never forget how I came home one time and it smelled terrible in our house. I was alone and couldn't find out what it was. I was petting our dog a little bit, who had strange red eyes. After some hours my roommate came home and told me the secret of the smell. Bobbi, our dog had attacked and killed (we didn't know this fact that day) a skunk. Before it died, it sprayed some of his "fragrance". Bobbi got the whole "stinky-cloud". After a billion baths she still smelled. What we didn't know that moment was that Bobbi was hiding the skunk and eating a little bit of it everyday. I prefer cookies or ice cream as desert, but every taste is different. Pretty gross. I am sorry.... too much information....! But as we found only the fur in our backyard and nothing else was left, the dog and the house stopped smelling....!


The best things during my time:

There are sooo many things to tell:
Driving the Aquada and jetski, many boat trips, horse back riding, sky diving (at least watching it :o)) traveling to NYC and Chicago. Btw.... I still owe you some New York picutes:







Toys'r Us at the time square. It looks a little bit like my room when I was a child :-)



Things I will never understand in America:


Construction...! Why do you have to close half of the street 2 month before you start with the construction??? But the best thing about construction are the men holding a sign. Isn't it much easier just to take a normal sign with a stand? If I will come back to the States I was thinking about doing that for work, but I can not descide: Do I want to hold the Stop or the Slow sign????? Give me some more time...!


One thing I have to tell you before I leave:

Perhaps you remember that I tried to get rid of my roommate called Young ??? I finally reached my target. And I found a great new roommate:



Our apartment downtown got a little bit too small....




So we decided to move to NYC and we found a really nice apartment next to the Times Square



Thanks a lot for everything, AutoCom staff... I really had a great time and I will miss u.....!




Mareike

Comments

Anonymous said…
Mar Mar -

I can't believe you dedicated a whole paragraph to me in your blog post! :) I feel so honored and special! I miss you very much as my deskmate. Now that your gone people have been putting stuff all over your former desk! Hopefully Vietnam will not show up again ;) Good luck at school and I will talk to you soon!!!!!!

Ich liebe dich!
Andi (aka your American lady)
Unknown said…
We miss you so much !!!!

-Lauren
Holly said…
Mar Mar!

I miss you sooo much! The office is so quiet without you. Hope you have a great time at school! I will think of you every time I have Kinder chocolate. :D Talk to you soon, lady!

Big hugs,
Holly
Anonymous said…
Now you are back in Germany, but still far away from me. I love your post and shame on me that I didn´t post anything in the last month. But I promise.....

See you soon and many hugs to all AutoCommers,

Nicky
AutoCom Interns said…
Hi Mareike!
I love your post! So funny and some good advices for me and Chrisina! Have a great semester at university! We miss you!
Silke

Popular posts from this blog

Jack inducted into PRSA Detroit Chapter Hall of Fame!

Hi everyone! Last night we went to the PRSA Detroit Chapter’s annual meeting. During the meeting was a ceremony for Jack Harned’s induction into the Hall of Fame. The meeting was downtown at the beautiful DTE Energy building. We had a great time networking with fellow colleagues in the PR industry and catching up with previous AutoCom employees. After dinner, Marty gave a great introduction to Jack. Jack’s speech was absolutely wonderful! Every one loved it! He talked about some of his past experiences from his hometown newspaper to working with GM and NASA. It seemed that everyone loved hearing his stories as much as we do at our Friday lunches! It’s great to know that Jack’s peers recognize all of his hard work. He has accomplished and seen so much, he truly deserves this award. From all of us at AutoCom: Congrats, Jack! We are all so proud of you! Leave some comments for Jack and keep an eye out for pictures, coming soon, at AutoCom's Facebook page! Until next time, Julia, Kerry

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu