Skip to main content

"Austria" joins AutoCom

Hi,

My name is Christina and I represent the other part of Europe’s German speaking countries. I’m from Austria, more precisely Lower Austria, about 60 miles east of Vienna. At home I have worked in our family business, which is a dealership for cars and motorbikes and a garage. I finished my studies of Business Administration three years before.

Why did I decide to go to U.S.? There are many reasons.
First of all it was always my wish to go abroad and to work in another country to gain new experiences. I had never considered studying abroad for a complete semester. I wanted to finish my studies as soon as possible because I attended University after 4 years of working at home.
Another reason is that I wanted to escape the family business for some time ;-)
And last but not least of course to improve my English.



It’s unbelievable that it’s already my third week at AutoCom. So it’s time to tell you about my first weeks in Detroit. Nicky – she is really as good as gold – picked me up from the airport, went with me to the impressive Mongolian Grill for lunch and brought me to my new home in Commerce Township, which is completely in a different area.


It was awesome how people welcomed and helped me with all kinds of stuff. They gave me rides, helped me with paperwork, and invited me to parties and for dinner… Thank you!!!


I arrived at a really good time. Because 4th of July was celebrated only one week after my arrival and so I had the chance to see a lot of fireworks. I think Americans do really love fireworks. They are amazing!


After two weeks of hard work looking for a car, I finally found the desired vehicle in Pontiac. At this please they are in a better condition, cleaner and more favorable than at other places.


So I would like to recommend two dealerships:

Giovanni Motors
1491 Baldwin Rd.,
Pontiac, MI 48340
Phone: 248-454-0711

Lookin-Nut Auto Sales
Quality Used Vehicles
“Wholesale Prices to the Public”
1390 Baldwin Ave,
Pontiac, MI 48340
Phone: 248-334-5539
(Ask for Curt, he’s the owner)


There is another very helpful link which I would like to introduce to you. If you have difficulties with the translation of miles into kilometer, Fahrenheit into Celsius, pound into kilogram or gallon into liter…
http://jumk.de/calc/length.shtml



I knew from viewing the AutoCom intern blog, there is a right of passage in the office. This passage is cake nearly every week.
It’s really consistent.





The only thing what has changed is the person who’s cutting the cake. Now Marty has the honor. And he does it perfectly!



Last week there was another very impressive experience - my first media event “Tech Crawl”. The work is similar to my work at home, such as the promotion of new cars, but nevertheless it’s on another level. So I’m looking forward to future events and to get to know the PR business.


See you!

Christina

Comments

Andi said…
Hi Christina!!!

Great post! It's so nice to have you here in the office!!! You better put on your dancing shoes for Friday! ;)
Anonymous said…
Hi Christina....

We're delighted to have you on board here at AutoCom.

Just read about your internship appointment in the Detroit Free Press btw. Congratulations!

Popular posts from this blog

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having...

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu...

Tata Nano - A Small Car with a Big Future

Tata Technologies unveils the Tata Nano, designed as 'World's cheapest car'. The people's car from Tata Motors is not a question. It is the answer. Can you imagine a brand-new car for $2,500? No, it’s not a motorbike or a scooter… it is the world’s cheapest production car, the Tata Nano. On Thursday, January, 14 a mini Indian car was unveiled to North America. The auto market has changed. It is a global trend that today’s demand is leaning more towards mini cars. It is time to be efficient. It is time for the Tata Nano. At the Detroit Science Center, Kerry Hokett and I welcomed over 50 journalists that took part at Tata Technologies’ media briefing. As I looked around the room, I saw cameras flashing, video cameras rolling, people posing around the car, smiling Tata Technologies team eager to help and of course the small Tata Nano was the center of attention. But that was later... First, entering the hall, we saw a small car’s silhouette under a gray cover. ...