Skip to main content

Say it again!

It's always hard to speak a foreign language. The last 6 weeks I've heard and read a lot "Denglisch." I want to post now the cutest and funniest sentences. Don't be afraid, I won't use any names and to defend me and Nicky, we didn't say all of these wrong sentences. We know some other Germans :-)


"Lauren, there is an animal in your hair!"



"I can’t take a photo. The bliss doesn’t work!"



"There is some pub in the fridge. You can have it."


"Yes, she told me. I become a new computer."

"Where do you dream from??"

(It sounds absolutly correct for German people)


"I spend 5 bugs!"


Not only the language gave me/us a hard time sometimes. The American culture and way of life is in some ways very different to the German culture.

Nicky and I thought about the biggest differences about Germany and the USA:

Driving a car:

The first days on the American street was a real experience. It looks the same like in Germany, but it isn't the same. For example a crossover:

In Germany: Right has right-of-way; When two public roads cross at an uncontrolled intersection, then right-of-way is always given to traffic approaching from the right.


In the USA the first car is allowed to drive first. But when there are many cars you nearly have to take a number to know when you are allowed to drive. I never know in which order who is allowed to drive. But thank god there is Nicky: "Go ahead, Americans are too cautious!"


A very big problem for the very fussy Germans is that the Americans doesn't set their turning signal very often (the last time I saw the passenger waving his hand out of the window, instead of using the turning signal). They are often very impatient and when you change lanes Americans rarely let you in (except Andi, AnAn). Everybody is busy and wants to get home as fast as possible. Sometimes it ends like this or just the rule "who is first, drives first"doesn't work out.

And the cars are a big difference. You have great and big cars, but also there are so many cars in a very bad shape. In Germany we have to check our car constantly to get the permisson to drive them. If you only have a little scratch in the windshield you are not allowed to drive.


In Germany, the country with a rule for really everything, we also have special guidelines for transporting things on and in your car. So it's sometimes very funny but also very scary to see some cars like this.


At work:

The picture of our office you see on our homepage is wrong. This is our office:


and Nicky and I always feel like this:

But the AC is everywhere. The last time I went out for dinner, I was wearing my jacket and my scarf and I still felt like a snowman. I thought only the Detroit winter would be cold. But we are not the only cold ones. The AutoCom Team is complaning, too ... while they are sitting in front of their fan heater and drinking water with ice.

groceries shopping:

Everytime you buy something you get a bag for every single item, no matter how big or small it is. In Germany you have to pay for bags and you have to put your stuff into the bag, nobody will do it for you. The first time I went shopping I didn't buy much, but I had afterwards nearly 57683026485 plastic bags:


Will be continued.....

... the Germans are watching you!!! :-)




Mareike

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Mareike, hey Nicole!
I really enjoyed your interpretation regarding the differences between German and American language, way of living and driving. I can´t wait to make the same experiences!
Silke
Anonymous said…
HAHA! Nice post Mare! You are right, our office is an igloo and Lauren often has "animals" in her hair!

Andi
Anonymous said…
Thanks for calling me Mare, AnAn. That's much better than MarMar.

Mare(ike)
Anonymous said…
... I just had a great laugh about the snow covered people - reminds me about how Lauren and I felt quite a lot of times...and constantly blew the circuits at the office...

Reading all these cool posts makes me miss the great time even more!!! Hope you are all great?!

Susanne

Popular posts from this blog

Jack inducted into PRSA Detroit Chapter Hall of Fame!

Hi everyone! Last night we went to the PRSA Detroit Chapter’s annual meeting. During the meeting was a ceremony for Jack Harned’s induction into the Hall of Fame. The meeting was downtown at the beautiful DTE Energy building. We had a great time networking with fellow colleagues in the PR industry and catching up with previous AutoCom employees. After dinner, Marty gave a great introduction to Jack. Jack’s speech was absolutely wonderful! Every one loved it! He talked about some of his past experiences from his hometown newspaper to working with GM and NASA. It seemed that everyone loved hearing his stories as much as we do at our Friday lunches! It’s great to know that Jack’s peers recognize all of his hard work. He has accomplished and seen so much, he truly deserves this award. From all of us at AutoCom: Congrats, Jack! We are all so proud of you! Leave some comments for Jack and keep an eye out for pictures, coming soon, at AutoCom's Facebook page! Until next time, Julia, Kerry

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu