Skip to main content

Welcome to Michigan, Niko. My first Blog post

Hi @ all,
My name is Niko, I’m the new intern at AutoCom. I’m here for almost 4 weeks now and owe you my first blog post.
First of all: I’m 24 years old, from Regensburg in Germany and I’m studying business administration. My major is marketing and before joining the AutoCom team I worked at a German radio station in Regensburg for more than 5 years. 
I started working here on April 1st. In the meantime I have arranged myself with the new job and colleagues – and we already had the first event with the AutoCom team.
But – let me start from the beginning.
The adventure began at the Frankfurt Airport at the end of March. 
I’ve never been in an airplane for such a long time (almost 10 hours…).
But fortunately those machines offer enough reasons for their passengers not to fall asleep. I’ve watched the whole season 8 of “The Big Bang Theory”, had several cups of coffee and nice chats with the flight attendants. 
 Finally: Detroit, Michigan. 

The first days passed by so fast. I had to organize so much stuff: A car, lots of paper work and finding new friends…! 
And I did it. 
 I bought a sporty car – not typical American but with much power: An old Saab :D
The old lady and I had some problems it in the beginning but now I love her. And hopefully she loves me. 
There is just one problem left: the AC does not work. But before the really hot months in Michigan start it will be fixed – that’s my plan. 

I found new friends in my (temporary…) flatmates. I love them and our house. It has a nice backyard but I’ll move out at the end of the week. I’ve got a room in the basement and that’s not what I like.  
Anyway, my German flatmates and I - we’re like a young family. 
Having BBQ’s on the weekends, some trips in the region. 

We’ve seen the last Pistons basketball game of this season. To be honest: I’m not really interested in basketball, but have you ever seen that arena? What the ****… this is SO BIG!!
I was really impressed.
But – the best experience so far was a trip with Jack and Eileen (senior partner & his wife) to Southfield. Jack invited me to this trip – along with the Detroit press club we visited the CBS radio studios! For me as a radio guy this was the highlight so far.

I hope that there will be the chance to go there for a second time, watch their techniques and talk to the people a little more in detail.

During my first weeks at Autocom I had to do a lot of admin stuff for clients and for the company. I organized myself and my new desk. Cleaned up a bit, got rid of my jetlake and brushed up my English. 
We had the SAE luncheon last week at Joe Muer’s seafood in the Renaissance Center in Detroit downtown.

Talking to our clients face to face was nice! Now I know some of the voices from the phone also in person. And they know me – the reason why they have to speak a little slower on the phone :)
  
I also had my first real Michigan experience last week: My first sunburn. But – as this would not be enough: My legs did still hurt – and it started to snow again??  I could not believe what happened?
 
But – everybody told me: Welcome to Michigan. 
So – here I am, I hope to feed you with many interesting (!) stories about AutoCom and my life here. 
Niko

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having...

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu...

Tata Nano - A Small Car with a Big Future

Tata Technologies unveils the Tata Nano, designed as 'World's cheapest car'. The people's car from Tata Motors is not a question. It is the answer. Can you imagine a brand-new car for $2,500? No, it’s not a motorbike or a scooter… it is the world’s cheapest production car, the Tata Nano. On Thursday, January, 14 a mini Indian car was unveiled to North America. The auto market has changed. It is a global trend that today’s demand is leaning more towards mini cars. It is time to be efficient. It is time for the Tata Nano. At the Detroit Science Center, Kerry Hokett and I welcomed over 50 journalists that took part at Tata Technologies’ media briefing. As I looked around the room, I saw cameras flashing, video cameras rolling, people posing around the car, smiling Tata Technologies team eager to help and of course the small Tata Nano was the center of attention. But that was later... First, entering the hall, we saw a small car’s silhouette under a gray cover. ...