Skip to main content

SAE Activities - or "The Week of Food en Masse"


A very exciting and interesting week has come to an end. One of AutoCom’s bigger events, the SAE Annual Supplier Dinner was held successfully at Coach Insignia atop of the Renaissance Center Detroit. Additionally there were two client luncheons also held in the GM Tower. This past week I spent so much time in the RenCen that I already feel at home there. But even after struggling with exceptionally stuffed stomachs and getting lost in Detroit at night on the way home, which almost caused two young interns to have a heart attack, we got back safely to our regular office routine.
Looking back at the previous week, a simple but important question comes up: What have I learned from this? Well, there are many points, but here are a few of them:
#1 The direction signs at the Renaissance Center are.. let’s say improvable.
#2 Getting lost in Detroit in the middle of the night is not fun.
#3 I like food.
But these insights are obviously not really related to our work here at AutoCom. So what have I learned from helping to organize those events, preparing on site and participating myself that helps me for my internship at a PR agency and for my future career?
I would say I have definitely realized the importance of teamwork and communication. It is not only something stated in every management related book and something they tell you almost every day at business school, but it is actually true and very essential for working efficiently – especially when putting together a row of events with in total 6 different clients and nearly 70 participants. Since every person is working on different assignments and responsible for a different area of the event, it is of great value to hold regular meetings in order to keep track of the particular progress and in order to meet the time schedule. Even for persons that usually get along without putting a lot of effort into organizing things on paper it has a great effect to actually assemble things in a list that can be checked off once done. Furthermore it can help all participating organizers to stay on top of things and not get lost on the way.
So always remember: “The secret of all victory lies in the organization of the non-obvious.” - Marcus Aurelius

Véronique

Comments

Jack Harned said…
Great that you "got a lot out of it" as well as put a lot into it.

Popular posts from this blog

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having...

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu...

Tata Nano - A Small Car with a Big Future

Tata Technologies unveils the Tata Nano, designed as 'World's cheapest car'. The people's car from Tata Motors is not a question. It is the answer. Can you imagine a brand-new car for $2,500? No, it’s not a motorbike or a scooter… it is the world’s cheapest production car, the Tata Nano. On Thursday, January, 14 a mini Indian car was unveiled to North America. The auto market has changed. It is a global trend that today’s demand is leaning more towards mini cars. It is time to be efficient. It is time for the Tata Nano. At the Detroit Science Center, Kerry Hokett and I welcomed over 50 journalists that took part at Tata Technologies’ media briefing. As I looked around the room, I saw cameras flashing, video cameras rolling, people posing around the car, smiling Tata Technologies team eager to help and of course the small Tata Nano was the center of attention. But that was later... First, entering the hall, we saw a small car’s silhouette under a gray cover. ...