Skip to main content

"Any PR is good PR" - Really?!


As a matter of fact, it is hard to get the attention of people these days. Each and every single one of us faces a flood of information day by day – just as you leave the house, switch on the TV or pop over to check your E-Mails, tons of advertisements and offers for services, companies and organizations will be trying to convince you that THEIR offer is just what you have been looking for and the very best you can get. Some will even satisfy needs which you didn’t even know you had so far. I for example never knew how much it bothered me that I couldn’t use my arms when covered with a blanket until I discovered the Snuggie.

Admittedly, getting through to potential customers really is a challenge. Imagine you really do have a brand-new, innovative product or service which would make peoples’ life so much easier. Now how do you let the publicity know? And even more importantly: In which way can you stand out from all the other offers/ advertisements/products that already hit YOUR target group?

It seems like some companies made “Any PR is good PR” their guiding principle to get out of this misery. This might get people talking about you and eventually overcome the first hurdle: rising awareness.
However, this thinking is a bit too short-sighted: PR is not only about being well-known, but about being well-known for the right things. The simple fact of many people knowing you will not necessarily make customers trust you or make them use your offers or services in the next step.
Even worse, bad publicity will cost companies much more than no publicity at all. For instance, once was made public that a popular manufacturer of sports clothing treated employees in Chinese factories unethically, the company had to struggle for a long time order to make up for that. Only after several campaigns, people were ready to trust and buy their products again. However, you might also loose clients forever as they suspect your communications and campaigns to be merely greenwashing.

Due to that, the planning PR measures should be done carefully and well thought-out, so it will be communicating the right values honestly to the right addressee. Conclusion: “Only good PR is good PR.” – and that is what we are here for.

Comments

Jack Harned said…
Excellent ideas well-stated!

Popular posts from this blog

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having...

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu...

Tata Nano - A Small Car with a Big Future

Tata Technologies unveils the Tata Nano, designed as 'World's cheapest car'. The people's car from Tata Motors is not a question. It is the answer. Can you imagine a brand-new car for $2,500? No, it’s not a motorbike or a scooter… it is the world’s cheapest production car, the Tata Nano. On Thursday, January, 14 a mini Indian car was unveiled to North America. The auto market has changed. It is a global trend that today’s demand is leaning more towards mini cars. It is time to be efficient. It is time for the Tata Nano. At the Detroit Science Center, Kerry Hokett and I welcomed over 50 journalists that took part at Tata Technologies’ media briefing. As I looked around the room, I saw cameras flashing, video cameras rolling, people posing around the car, smiling Tata Technologies team eager to help and of course the small Tata Nano was the center of attention. But that was later... First, entering the hall, we saw a small car’s silhouette under a gray cover. ...