Skip to main content

Doreen’s Travel Journal

Hey AutoComers,

here is a little summary of my journey to California and Costa Rica. Hope you enjoy it and don’t get too envious! :-P
Three days after my last day @AutoCom I started my big trip, which I was looking forward to for such a long time. My first destination was Los Angeles, where I spent four nights in a very nice hostel. I met so many people from all over the world there and we took tours arranged by the hostel (for example to the Getty Museum). Besides that I saw walls, fences and (sometimes) houses of celebrities during a so-called “LA city tour.” But luckily, the bus also stopped at the famous spots, such as the Hollywood sign, the Walk of Fame and Universal Studios.
By the end of the week I got a rental car and headed south towards the Mexican border with stopovers at beautiful beaches like Newport Beach, Laguna Beach and Huntington Beach. After taking tons of pictures and videos I finally reached my destination, San Diego. I spent a whole week there doing activities like visiting the world famous zoo, walking on white sanded beaches and catching grunions at night. I even took a tour with an amphibious car called “The Seal!”

Unfortunately my stay in SD was influenced by a lot of worries concerning the swine flu. As you know, I actually wanted to fly to Cancun to spend two weeks in Mexico/Yucatan. Two days before my flight I decided together with my friend Sebastian to change that plan. With absolutely no clue about Costa Rica I met him in the capital San José to start our vacation in Central America.

From this day on we called our travel guide “Lonely Planet” our “Bible,” because it told us where to go, where to sleep, where to eat and what to do! We traveled by bus and boat through the country and could therefore see a lot of beautiful landscapes.

We did a lot of fun things in the different places. For instance, we canopied in La Fortuna, hiked the cloud forests in Monte Verde and rode horses on the beaches of Montezuma. It was nice!! I especially fell in love with Montezuma because we could lay in hammocks at the Pacific ocean, snorkel near the small island Tortuga and just relax with some refreshing fruit shakes in our hands and music in our ears.

After this chill-out part of our trip we headed back to San José (with a night in between in not-so great Jacó) and finished our vacation on the roof-deck of our fancy hostel with a beautiful view over the lighted city.


Doreen

Comments

Larry said…
Wow....sounds like a great trip. As you know, Kathi and I were in Cancun during that same time. There actually was no problem with influenza porcina....it was pretty much concentrated in densely populated areas of Mexico city.
Unknown said…
I'm glad you didn't have a problem there! I'll postpone my trip to Mexico, because I still really want to go!! But for this moment, Costa Rica was very nice, too. :-)
Anonymous said…
I am so jealous! I want to go to California, too! Three more months to go and I will make my way to the West coast ... or maybe East coast.

Miriam

Popular posts from this blog

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having...

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu...

Tata Nano - A Small Car with a Big Future

Tata Technologies unveils the Tata Nano, designed as 'World's cheapest car'. The people's car from Tata Motors is not a question. It is the answer. Can you imagine a brand-new car for $2,500? No, it’s not a motorbike or a scooter… it is the world’s cheapest production car, the Tata Nano. On Thursday, January, 14 a mini Indian car was unveiled to North America. The auto market has changed. It is a global trend that today’s demand is leaning more towards mini cars. It is time to be efficient. It is time for the Tata Nano. At the Detroit Science Center, Kerry Hokett and I welcomed over 50 journalists that took part at Tata Technologies’ media briefing. As I looked around the room, I saw cameras flashing, video cameras rolling, people posing around the car, smiling Tata Technologies team eager to help and of course the small Tata Nano was the center of attention. But that was later... First, entering the hall, we saw a small car’s silhouette under a gray cover. ...