Skip to main content

Welcome to Detroit!

Hello Everybody,
My name is Lisa and I am the second new intern at AutoCom for the upcoming six months.On Monday, October 3rd, I had my first working day here at AutoCom. However, I arrived one and a half weeks before to have some time to settle in and to arrange important organizational things such as comparing different car insurance options, opening a bank account or getting an American phone number. Like many other interns, I live in a shared house in Royal Oak for the time of my internship.
Road trip to Lake Michigan
Originally, I am from a pretty small village a couple of minutes away from Leipzig in Eastern Germany. Shortly before I came to Michigan, I finished my bachelor’s degree in International Management at the University of Applied Sciences in Leipzig. It is my first time in the United States and I am excited about the next few months here in Detroit, especially in regard to holiday festivities like Thanksgiving and Christmas, sport activities like football or basketball, as well as the American everyday life.
Since I arrived in Michigan, I have already experienced a lot of great things, met new people and became more familiar with the American culture and mentality.
Eishockey at the Joe Louis Arena 
On my second evening in Royal Oak, I was invited to a farewell party of an intern that was leaving, only a few streets away from my new home. Consequently, I got to know many other interns and some Americans that live in my neighborhood, whom I will probably meet again in the next weeks and months. After three hours of sleep, my boyfriend (who accompanied me to the USA and is on vacation here for three weeks) and I got up early in the morning to be picked up by a friend of mine who is also doing an internship near Detroit to make a road trip through Michigan over the weekend. On this trip we stopped in Traverse City, played volleyball and relaxed at the beach of the Peninsula Township Park with the well-known Old Mission Lighthouse, climbed up the Sleeping Bear Dunes and took an off-road tour through the sand dunes at Silver Lake. To put it in a nutshell, it was an awesome first weekend that gave me an understanding of Michigan’s beautiful landscape.
The Heidelberg Project
After returning to Royal Oak from the amazing road trip, I spent some days on organizational things as I mentioned earlier. Nevertheless, I did some fun activities as well: I watched two ice hockey games and a baseball game, explored Downtown Royal Oak, joined a surprise birthday party for one of my roommates, went grocery shopping at Walmart for the first time and finally succeeded to register my car. At my second weekend, I visited the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in Detroit, participated in the Ford Rouge Factory Tour and took a look at the street art of the Heidelberg Project.
To conclude, I had a great time here in Michigan since I arrived as I really enjoyed meeting new people and visiting new places. Thus, I am greatly excited for the next months which will probably entail many new experiences!
Off-road tour at Silver Lake
The Henry Ford Museum
Detroit Tigers baseball game 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having...

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu...

Tata Nano - A Small Car with a Big Future

Tata Technologies unveils the Tata Nano, designed as 'World's cheapest car'. The people's car from Tata Motors is not a question. It is the answer. Can you imagine a brand-new car for $2,500? No, it’s not a motorbike or a scooter… it is the world’s cheapest production car, the Tata Nano. On Thursday, January, 14 a mini Indian car was unveiled to North America. The auto market has changed. It is a global trend that today’s demand is leaning more towards mini cars. It is time to be efficient. It is time for the Tata Nano. At the Detroit Science Center, Kerry Hokett and I welcomed over 50 journalists that took part at Tata Technologies’ media briefing. As I looked around the room, I saw cameras flashing, video cameras rolling, people posing around the car, smiling Tata Technologies team eager to help and of course the small Tata Nano was the center of attention. But that was later... First, entering the hall, we saw a small car’s silhouette under a gray cover. ...