Skip to main content

First days in Detroit


Hi everyone,

My name is Kim, I am the new intern at AutoCom Associates. Currently I am pursuing a bachelor’s degree in International Business at the University of Aalen in Germany.  As part of my studies I am doing a six months internship here at AutoCom in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. I arrived in mid August at Detroit Metropolitan Airport where Marie, one of the current interns, picked me up and drove me to my new home in Royal Oak. I am living there in a shared house with four other housemates, one of whom is Florian another current intern at AutoCom. I am glad that I get to work with him and Marie for two weeks before their term ends and they take off for their vacation.
Ever since I arrived I have had some organizational things to get done, as in buying a car and opening a bank account. However, I have done some fun stuff as well. On my first weekend, I went with my housemates and their friends, who are also German interns, to an outlet mall in Troy, Michigan and last Thursday we watched the Detroit Lions play against the Cincinnati Bengals in a football game at Ford Field in downtown Detroit. To be honest, I have no clue about football but just being in this huge stadium filled with people was an incredible feeling.
 
This past weekend the traditional Woodward Dream Cruise took place where you can see all kind of cars, from old classics to brand new ones, cruising along Woodward Avenue. We went there for only a short time as the weather was not so nice – it had been rainy all day long. On Saturday evening there was a get-together in a house in our neighborhood that is also occupied by interns. It was really fun as I got to meet a lot of people who are living in Royal Oak too. 



Comments

Jack Harned said…
Welcome... Glad you are having a fast start.

Popular posts from this blog

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having...

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu...

Tata Nano - A Small Car with a Big Future

Tata Technologies unveils the Tata Nano, designed as 'World's cheapest car'. The people's car from Tata Motors is not a question. It is the answer. Can you imagine a brand-new car for $2,500? No, it’s not a motorbike or a scooter… it is the world’s cheapest production car, the Tata Nano. On Thursday, January, 14 a mini Indian car was unveiled to North America. The auto market has changed. It is a global trend that today’s demand is leaning more towards mini cars. It is time to be efficient. It is time for the Tata Nano. At the Detroit Science Center, Kerry Hokett and I welcomed over 50 journalists that took part at Tata Technologies’ media briefing. As I looked around the room, I saw cameras flashing, video cameras rolling, people posing around the car, smiling Tata Technologies team eager to help and of course the small Tata Nano was the center of attention. But that was later... First, entering the hall, we saw a small car’s silhouette under a gray cover. ...