Skip to main content

Pure Michigan

Last Friday, Annika and I headed “up north” towards Traverse City with a bunch of German interns.

After being woken up by a tremendous, earthshaking thunderstorm, we left Royal Oak around 8.30 a.m. With no traffic jams or accidents on the streets, we arrived at Silver Lake around lunch time.

Following a tour through the house (which, by the way, was beautiful), the rooms needed to be allocated. Finding a spot to sleep for all 18 people wasn’t easy, but in the end, everybody had some sort of a bed.

We spent Friday exploring the lake behind our house, barbecuing, playing sports, dancing and having a good time. I am still surprised that none of the neighbors called the police, seeing as they had enough reason to. Having a bonfire, using the outdoor bar, swimming in the lake, having music turned up and using outdoor loudspeakers - all of this until 4.30 a.m. - should be enough to get neighbors annoyed.

As you can imagine, the next day didn’t start too early. When we finally did wake up, we went on a wine tasting tour. After having had several (tiny) glasses of delicious wine, sun-bathing at the Traverse City beach was the next stop on our to-do list. Back at the house, the day ended as the night before, with food, drinks and a lot of fun!

On Sunday, we got up early - at around 9.30 a.m. - to clean the house before heading off to the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. The cleaning went surprisingly well and we were able to leave the house around noon.

After arriving at the national park, we climbed up the famous sand dunes. It looks a lot easier than it actually is - that I can assure you. The sand is so hot; you better hurry up walking if you don’t want your feet getting burnt! But we made it and - as a treat to ourselves - we spent the rest of the day on the beach at Lake Michigan.

In the late afternoon, we headed back to Detroit. It took us five and a half hours to get back, friends of ours made it in four hours – with a speeding ticket and a $100 fee.

Miriam

Comments

Anonymous said…
Looks like you ladies had a great time! I'm glad that you are enjoying Michigan and all it has to offer :)

-Tedi
Jack Harned said…
Good post! Nice of you to protect the identity of the speeding driver!

Jack

Popular posts from this blog

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having...

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu...

Tata Nano - A Small Car with a Big Future

Tata Technologies unveils the Tata Nano, designed as 'World's cheapest car'. The people's car from Tata Motors is not a question. It is the answer. Can you imagine a brand-new car for $2,500? No, it’s not a motorbike or a scooter… it is the world’s cheapest production car, the Tata Nano. On Thursday, January, 14 a mini Indian car was unveiled to North America. The auto market has changed. It is a global trend that today’s demand is leaning more towards mini cars. It is time to be efficient. It is time for the Tata Nano. At the Detroit Science Center, Kerry Hokett and I welcomed over 50 journalists that took part at Tata Technologies’ media briefing. As I looked around the room, I saw cameras flashing, video cameras rolling, people posing around the car, smiling Tata Technologies team eager to help and of course the small Tata Nano was the center of attention. But that was later... First, entering the hall, we saw a small car’s silhouette under a gray cover. ...