Skip to main content

DIC's Summer Camp 2008

On July 24, Silke and I volunteered at the Detroit Institute for Children’s (DIC) Summer Camp 2008, which they held at their facility in Detroit from July 21 – 24. DIC is a provider of specialized diagnostic, medical and rehabilitative care to children with disabilities.



The theme of this year’s camp was “Four Seasons” and the four days were divided into fall, winter, spring and summer.

Silke and I volunteered on the last day, which was about summer and water activities. The DIC divided its facility into three areas representing the continents Australia, Europe and the United States. In Australia the children made boomerangs and afterwards they took an “airplane ride” to see the great sights of Europe. They ended their trip back home in the US – where they enjoyed water slide, blowing bubbles and a special visit from Disney Radio for karaoke fun.


Forty disabled children and their siblings attended on that day. Volunteers gave their time and became “Camper Buddies.” Each volunteer took care of a certain child or helped the DIC staff at the different stations.

Altogether, the summer camp was not only entertaining and fun, it also reinforced the skills that DIC’s children work on during their therapy sessions. Not only the children enjoyed DIC’s Summer Camp, but also the volunteers, the parents and all other helpers had a lot fun on that sunny day. The DIC staff, which had organized this amazing Summer Camp and all staff members gave their best put on this unforgettable Summer Camp.




Tony

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time to say Goodbye

Only two days left until Don Haberek will leave the AutoCom Team. He was our COO, interns supervisor and the best cake cutter ever! He always had time for the intern's issues and was listening very patiently and carefully to us. Even if he had to repeat his advice a billion times for the foreign interns! But he wasn't only a great interns supervisor. He also gave everbody the oppotunity to gain some weight, when he was cutting perfectly our (nearly weekly ;-)) cake. We really hope, we will find somebody who has the same great technic to cut a cake: 1) Be very gentle to the cake! 2) Use a very sharpe-edged knife, especially our chocolate junky Mareike doesn't want to waste a bit! 3) Be sure that you cut enough pieces. But we think we allready have a new cake cutter. After a long long time Don finally found his twin brother. And accidentally he is working for AutoCom aswell. :-) Who is dressing like Don, must have the same skills! Thanks for everything, we wi ll miss having...

Who is Wayne???

Now I am more than one month here and time is going by so fast. I wanted to post earlier, but we had some problems with the blog. My first month was more like a week. Getting a Social Sec. No, a bank account, finding a new place, discovering Detroit (I got totally lost when I moved to my new place, but thank god I have my own navigation system called Nicky&Josh :o)). My new place downtown. I just have to figure out, how I can get rid of my room mate "Young" :-) But the hardest thing was to find a car. In particular I had one big problem: Former interns bought their cars at Wayne’s garage. But nobody at AutoCom knew Wayne’s last name. And trying to find Wayne by the search terms “Wayne, garage and car” at google was very ineffective. Asking all former interns was interesting, too. Nicky and I got very different information and so we tried to merge all the different pieces of the puzzle to one big “Wayne’s-Address-Puzzle”. But finally we got to Wayne’s garage. For all futu...

Tata Nano - A Small Car with a Big Future

Tata Technologies unveils the Tata Nano, designed as 'World's cheapest car'. The people's car from Tata Motors is not a question. It is the answer. Can you imagine a brand-new car for $2,500? No, it’s not a motorbike or a scooter… it is the world’s cheapest production car, the Tata Nano. On Thursday, January, 14 a mini Indian car was unveiled to North America. The auto market has changed. It is a global trend that today’s demand is leaning more towards mini cars. It is time to be efficient. It is time for the Tata Nano. At the Detroit Science Center, Kerry Hokett and I welcomed over 50 journalists that took part at Tata Technologies’ media briefing. As I looked around the room, I saw cameras flashing, video cameras rolling, people posing around the car, smiling Tata Technologies team eager to help and of course the small Tata Nano was the center of attention. But that was later... First, entering the hall, we saw a small car’s silhouette under a gray cover. ...